This is just a static image. On the front page what you're seeing is
a Java Applet, wot I wrote, that renders a calendar page for the date
of the site's most recent change. Here 'tis, showing the current date (I hope):
The idea was that I wanted a graphic link on the front page to give access to the site's
change history. A suitable image, in keeping with the theme,
was a calendar page. I could've
just produced a static image but of course I'd have to redo it every time I updated the site.
The obvious choice was to write some software to create the calendar image, given a date
(Obvious? Well to me at least. Why? Because I can.). Even better,
make it a Java app that renders the calendar page image automatically. All I need to do
is change parameters in the HTML source! It seemed like a good idea at the time, and it was
a fun little app to write (my first one quite some time after taking a course in Java).
Probably the trickiest part was trying to make the
APPLET act the same was as an
A HREF= with an
IMG SRC=. I quite quickly got it to respond
to a click by jumping to a URL I provide as a parameter (and to change the mouse pointer to indicate that a link was
there). I can't make the applet draw a "transparent" image so the best I can do is paint the
background paper GIF underneath it (unless your firewall doesn't let the applet read it).
What I haven't done yet is implement a tooltip.
This may be quite
complicated (I suspect I'll have to render it myself, but I can't draw outside the Applet's area...) so all
I do at the moment is update the status line. One day...
The other downsides are that it's a bit slow to load and not everyone has Java enabled (I guess).
The static image at the top of the page is showing the date I wrote the class(es).